Monday 25 February 2019

Remembering Neville Masterman.....



I remember Neville Masterman very clearly. He was my personal tutor in the Autumn term of 1977. Neville taught a course called the 'Crisis of Liberalism" I was 19 at the time. I was an arrogant 19 year old who thought that he knew everything. Neville was very patient with me and told me I would think in many different ways by the time I was sixty. He told me of a certain Liberal MP warning the party against coalition with the Tories. Neville said that the words were "You will be used like plump cattle and then slaughtered". I am sad that in his long life he saw that happen three times. I remember quoting these words to Peter Black in 2010. Peter laughed but Neville was right...
I thought that Neville would have gone along time ago. I never thought at the age of 60 I would learn of his death at the age of 108. His father had been a Cabinet Minister in the Liberal Government of 1906. I remember him cheerfully telling me 'of course I was neglected....we all were then" Rest in Peace....the very odd thing was that he flashed across my mind about tour weeks ago. I googled him expecting to read of his death a good 30 years ago. I was amazed yo discover he had made 100 in the year 2012. I then searched again to see again if he passed away. The odd thing was as I searched I now know that he has just slipped away.at 107 How odd indeed... Neville was the sort of Liberal you could have pride in knowin

No comments:

Post a Comment