Monday 2 March 2020

Victory over DWP after three years


Victory over DWP after three years...I had a seat news this morning. Back in 2002 a client of mine was involved in a mini bus crash leaviing him virtually the only survivor. He had undiagnosed Post Traumatic Stress and was and still is In crippling pain. He contacted me back in 2017 to help with his appeal and both myself and his friend Will represented him at the appeal as the DWP had rejected his claim. Unfortunately the tribunal decides that PTSD was not similar to agoraphobia and refused the appeal. His friend Will persevered with the case and took it to a higher court that overturned the decision. The claim began again but unfortunately was rejected by the DWP and at an further lower court rejected. Once more Will and my client appealed to a higher one and won.. Last week a lower court upheld the appeal and the DWP had to pay out three years back benefit and granted my client the benefits for life. Many people would have given up in that length of time and the lesson is to be persistent. 

I remember this case rearly well as on the way to it the bus i was on crashed into a car near Pontardawe . I was shaken by it and probably had a some yes I.a from it. However I attended the initial appeal in this condition. The irony was that it took till December of last year 2019 to settle my claim. Persistence is the key and though my injuries were infinitely less than my clients we both won. There is an odd synchronicity and an echo in these stories. As we face the horrors of this Tory government there will be many cases like that of my clients .. many will give up but the lesson is keep fighting...

No comments:

Post a Comment