Wednesday 8 January 2020

No Excuses...reflections on authenticity; self awareness and mortality

 I have long thought that we should all strive to be who we really are. Pinder and Nietzche both said the same and asked us to know ourselves. I am in essence a Jungian existentialist who argues that we create who we are and are teleological or ever becoming Politically I am an ecomarxist and am socially liberal in my attitudes . I support the decriminilsation of drugs and the treatment of all addictions as psychological and health based. I am secure in my identity in all areas of my life. The options we choose over identity, sexual mores and belonging are matter for ourselves and us alone. I am a keen supporter of rehabilitation of those who do wrong how could I do otherwise? Those who know me are quite aware of my shocking flaws and blind spots. As an existentialist I believe above all in authenticity and as a Marxist I seek to confront false consciousness and ignorance. Last July I wrote about my thoughts concerning the death of a certain "popular 40 year old from Nearh" and raised a storm for my sins I was placed on a 30 day probation on Port Talbot Debate and Argue Facebook group, on Neath Voice a certain 'liberal democrat" removed my thoughts and a certain Gareth Hanford suggested that he should bring the boys around to my place of work to sort me out. I can not stand the hypocrisy that one should sanctify the dead and not speak ill of them.
I suppose for me authenticity is above all the major issue. If one us politically on the far right and embrace the socially conservative outlooks of UKIP, work as a staff member for them, attack the #MeToo movement, celebrate Tommy Robinson and continually attack the LGBT campaigner Owen Jones and continually attack the left one must ask questions of your authenticity if you live your life in a socially liberal way while supporting and arguing a socially conservative one. Whether you are alive or not these things are relevant, and a matter of authenticity.
Oscar Wilde once said every saint has a past and every sinner a future. We are all broken and have blind spots as we wrestle with existence. I celebrate difference and often sit with the broken after all I have been there myself. The same things that are said about us all as we move through existence should be said about us after we have gone. It is authenticity that matters in the end and our consistency and self awareness We all struggle with hypocrisy and denial the question is do we know it? In the end those who die are missed in the hearts and minds of those who love them. There are no saints or sinners we are all merely battling with ourselves and seek to understand the facticity of exustence. It is authenticity that matters as we struggle with ourselves . Popularity is superficial and is quickly forgotten perhaps we become angry with those who point this out and project our fear of death this way.

Long ago I realised that authenticity and self awareness is what makes us human and tolerant. When we move from untruth to truth we move from darkness to light. We move from blaming others and do our best to accept the different and the "other" . Authenticity asks us, living or dead, what we have done and what outlooks we have fed. Know yourself and your edges . Is all I can say... now let's see what rude messages and threats i get today...there are no simple solutions to complex problems. The far right don't want you to know that .. its easy to choose inauthenticity particularly if you suffer from a tendency to narcissism and a lack of self awareness.. it's something we all struggle with. It's something particularly so in the age of Trump, Johnson and Farage. This is the age of self framed in a background of perfectly post modern fascism...there are no excuses for the lieman or layman within us all.. only the judgement of those who exist after we have gone...it should not be otherwise..

"Puppets"

German puppets burned the Jews
Jewish puppets did not choose
Puppet vultures eat the dead
Puppet corpses they are fed
Puppet winds and puppet waves
Puppet sailors in their graves
Puppet flower, puppet stem
Puppet time dismantles them
Puppet me and puppet you
Puppet German
Puppet Jew

Puppet Presidents command
Puppet troops to burn the land
Puppet fire, puppet flames
Feed on all the puppet names
Puppet lovers in their bliss
Turn away from all of this
Puppet reader shakes his head
Takes his puppet wife to bed
Puppet me and puppet you
Puppet German, puppet Jew

Puppet Presidents command
Puppet troops to burn the land
Puppet fire, puppet flames
Feed on all the puppet names
Puppet night comes down to play
The after act to puppet day

No comments:

Post a Comment