Thursday 18 August 2016

Fourty years ago today, Dynevor Comprehensive , the Hanbury and time for Sicily


Fourty years ago I stood outside Dynevor Comprehensive School. I was waiting for A level results. I was nervous I had not worked that hard. I walked in and the School Secretary said “Do you want the good news or the bad news?” I said bad. She replied you got unclassified in CSE stage 1 typing........ut you got ABC in your A levels. Its only know looking back that the reason I failed typing was that then my mild dyspraxia and dyslexia was undiscovered.

 It was a different world James Callaghan was Prime Minister. There were full grants and your fees were paid. The Grocers daughter from Grantahm was lurking at the edge of power.




A few minutes later my friends turned up and we hung about outside the School gates in Pell Street In those days there was a tobaconist in the Kingsway and we all bought cigars. The Headmaster turned up and glared at us. We smoked on...He did like the Upper Sixth that year we had organised a Prefects stike over better representation of school students. There was nothing he could do as we had launched the strike after the UCCA forms had gone off to the Universities. We were good activists... and we retired to the Hanbury and stayed there all day anyway must finally leave for Sicily...see you all in September.....


No comments:

Post a Comment