Thursday 30 March 2017

Home thoughts on Brexit island



A gloomy day . It just went on raining all day on Brexit day. I reflected on Mozart's opera reformed for us as we joined some 44 years ago. It was a celebration of peace and hope I was 14 at the time.i new that day i was an emotionally a citizen of Europe. I loathed the narrowness of the little Englanders i met at prep school. The problem is at 58 they are still there . They are just the same now I remember their prejudices and their outlook . They are as intolerant now as they were then. i see the same types aping an English outlook of the 20s . The racist words are back, the attitude of superiority returns. Theresa May apes a European outlook but we know it's a ruse, a pretense of understanding and we leave ourselves vulnerable, class ridden and on the outside. Brexit is an excuse for the right to settle it's scores. It's been long planned and they are looking at us right now....And i tell you now there will be no unity offered by them , they are not interested . They offer a grim future and such ilk as this will not experience any desire to unite with them from me.....

Back to a Henry VIII style of dealing with the implications of the great repeal bill . There will be gaps, inaccuracies and duplication. This will mean that the government will use secondary legislation to amend primary legislation . Thus means Parliament will be locked out and makes nonsense of the claims of British sovereignty . We will be the only country in Europe whose Parliament will have no say or be able to use this ' sovereignty" ...


I will not go quietly away into Brexit isle. I will not fade into the darkness of the little Englanders. I campaigned in 1975 to join , last year i campaigned to stay. I am part of the European resistance and just as the little Englanders resisted membership for those 44 years i too will resist them and their Daily Mail vision while u am still here. There is a storm coming coming and when the economic reality dawns on will still be here to campaign for a return . When people see what the Right will do to their services, their a liberties and their jobs they will awaken. The leave campaign did not go away in 1975 and many people of my outlook will not go away now. A general election, an economic crisis makes possible ma my scenarios, many alternatives. I feel shame when i see the representatives we have in Europe , their look, their demeanour , their knowledge , their awareness and their desires for us all. I rebel against them and make myself a point of resistance to a tide of narrow English jingoism and prejudice.

1 comment: