Monday 19 September 2016

After London ..a Georgian poet reflects,,,,,,,,

This poem fascinated me as a child. I came across it again this morning.Its powerful and asks us so many questions.


 

After London

By J. D. C. Fell

London Bridge is broken down;
    Green is the grass on Ludgate Hill;
I know a farmer in Camden Town
    Killed a brock by Pentonville.

I have heard my grandam tell
    How some thousand years ago
Houses stretched from Camberwell
    Right to Highbury and Bow.

Down by Shadwell's golden meads
    Tall ships' masts would stand as thick
As the pretty tufted reeds
    That the Wapping children pick.

All the kings from end to end
    Of all the world paid tribute then,
And meekly on their knees would bend
    To the King of the Englishmen.

Thinks I while I dig my plot,
    What if your grandam's tales be true?
Thinks I, be they true or not,
    What's the odds to a fool like you?

Thinks I, while I smoke my pipe
    Here beside the tumbling Fleet,
Apples drop when they are ripe,
    And when they drop are they most sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment