Tuesday 31 October 2017

.Luther and Marx



.Luther and Marx...I hear on radio 4 that it is 500 year ago today that Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the door of Wiurtenberg Cathedral. I am not keen on the effects of Luther . I dislike his misogyny his anti semetism and the effects of Luther on guilt shame and emotions. It felt is time for a secular society. Belief and spirituality is a personal matter. The sea of Faith must always be a personal matter.. last night we watched a programme on the spy networks of Elixabeth 1 . I often reflect that you could learn much from the 1950s about the Elizabethan period. In Elizabeth's time the state feared the snmy within who were loyal to a foreign ruler the Pope. In the 1950s the state feared the communists within who loyalty to a foreign ruler called Stalin. In Elizabethan times the struggles between the Cecil family and Essex were mirrored in the intelligence factions of the British states. Each period saw Catholics or communists everywhere.http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/tudors/spying_01.shtml


 Fear and projections were everywhere. The ideological fears and anxieties all went back to Luther and often his followers and interpreters were the worst. Perhaps we might think of Marx that way ad well. However I suspect that I would infinitely prefer Marx to Luther and prefer Trots to Tankies...and both to Calvinists . However in general I do worry about dead white men with messianic missions...but for me it has to be Marx .anyday. Idle thoughts frim me today for you all
 http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/modern-world-history-1918-to-1980/the-cold-war/spies-of-the-cold-war-era/


No comments:

Post a Comment